02 August 2009

Friday I finally finished my three drafts. Yay! So I rewarded myself by going to the Anne Taylor store and picking out a new outfit. I don't have that many business clothes, so I am really sick of wearing the same things all summer. Then I went to the modern part of the National Museum of Art. I decided I really like modern art, I love the bright simplicity. I couldn't tell you why, it's just my aesthetic. Then I went home and went for a run. Then I went to dinner at this restaurant that I heard heard about and Kurt and I tried to go to but it was closed. It does all local, seasonal ingredients and has a tree in the middle of the restaurant. And the food was really yummy too. Then I went to a movie at the movie theater right next door. It was a very relaxing, fun night and it was nice to just hang out by myself for awhile, which I don't get to do very often here.
This morning I went to this screen printing workshop at the Corcoran Art Gallery.
We got a tour of the museum and then got to make a screen print. I made this tree. I stenciled leaves in the background and then screen printed the tree. Screen printing is alot harder than it seems, its hard to get the paint even.

Then I went for a bike ride. Saturday night I met up with some friends I met who also graduated from UW at this bar with a live piano player who played requests and everyone in the bar sang along, which was really fun.

Sunday I dropped my bike off at the bike store to send it home, then walked up to U St and 14th for this street fair that was supposed to be happening. On the way I passed by the Dupont Circle Farmer's Market and bought some of the best peaches I have ever had in my life. I ate 3 today. The street fair was a little underwhelming, but it was interesting to see a new neighborhood. Then I walked to the Newseum, which was really neat. All the exhibits were really interactive and had lots of different media (TV, sound recordings, text, pictures, artifacts, movies, etc) to portray each thing. They had pieces of the Berlin wall and from 9/11. My favorite exhibit was one about the first amendment. They also had a whole room of newspapers from famous events that you could look at, all the way back to the 1500's.
Then I walked to the Botanical Garden, which was nice, but not that impressive. Then I walked home. It got REALLY HOT this afternoon, so it was nice to take a shower and not feel so sweaty after I got home. It's about 90 with atleast 80% humidity everyday now, which is so sticky.
Now I might start packing or work on my presentation, or I might just wait til tomorrow :)








































2 comments:

Amy said...

I like your tree screen print, Sarah. Cool that the museum lets you do something hands-on like that. Glad to hear the stress of writing is over. Good luck with the presentation!
I heard about some of these fun things from Kurt who gave us brief reports of what you were up to. We had a blast in Seattle with our lad. Enjoy your last DC days!

Mom said...

For a long time Morris Louis was my favorite artist because he used big waves of color. They had some of his paintings at the National Gallery when I was there. Not sure if they still are part of the exhibits or not.

I too love the tree. Your bike has not yet arrived but maybe it will tomorrow.