03 September 2009

Welcome to Richland

We arrived in Richland on Monday afternoon and went right to look at our first house. It was a little ranch house, but with some interesting modifications. And the landlord was a little pushy. Then we checked into the PNNL (Pacific Northwest National Lab) guest house, which is very nice, and went to look at a different house. This one was almost exactly the same as the last one but didn't have as many alterations, so it had a more open floor plan which I liked better. And I liked the landlord better. I thought that would be my new house. The next morning we biked around Richland, down by the river, which has a beautiful walking path that runs the length of the river. For lunch we met with my new bosses, Emily and Kim, who I love and will be my mentors when I start as well. Talking to them made me so excited to start at my job. They are also going to help me start a CSA in the area (which they are both members of) and told me about a bunch of stuff to do around Richland for fun (like softball and ultimate Frisbee). That afternoon I met up with Wendi, the woman who had offered to help me find places here in Richland. She was very nice and had offered because all her properties were already rented. The first house we saw was not very nice, but the second house we went to was perfect. The owners had bought it a year and a half ago, done alot of work, and now were moving. They wanted to sell it, but then decided they weren't ready yet, and are renting it. I think I was the first person that saw it and the woman, Walker, and I got along great. She is an electrical engineer at Bonneville Power (the local utility) and we decided that I would rent it right then. I filed out the application and gave them $1000 deposit. It a two car garage, a little covered walkway between the garage and the house, a beautiful backyard and patio,
two little living rooms with fireplaces, a hall bathroom and one in the master bedroom, and a really nice kitchen. And it's yellow, I always knew I would live in a yellow house. Anyways, here are some pictures of it,

although it doesn't capture it, so come and visit and see for yourself. I'll be there starting September 30th.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

It looks just perfect.