21 August 2008

Disko Island
















So I am blogging much more than I imagined, but we have free internet here and I thought I'd give you all some new pictures. We took the ferry from Ilulissat over to an island right off the coast called Disko Island this morning. The ice was beautiful, again. And the amazing thing is that they look different every time. The water was calm and new sea ice was starting to form on the surface of the ice. It's amazing that it already seems like winter is beginning here. And it makes me kind of excited. We came into the town and walked to the research base in Disko Island, which is amazing. I want to live here. We each have our own little bunk and it has a beautiful kitchen and a wooden
spiral staircase. This afternoon we went on a hike around the pennisula around this awesome basalt cliffs with crazy rock that looks like all these bricks. The rock goes like that because it is a special kind of volcanic rock that is magnetic. They make caves everywhere and are really fun to climb around on. We spent a few hours playing on the rocks, and when we got back several of us decided we should jump in the ocean. Which I thought would hurt alot, but actually felt very refreshing. I can't wait to spend a
few days here. We will be here for 2 days before we head back to Ilulissat to catch the ferry to Nuuk. I'll update again if anything interesting happens, which I'm sure it will since it just seems like each day is better than the last here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Junp in the water again for us. Cheryl and GMA