21 December 2006

maybe I don't like spontaneity so much

Wednesday was the day of the big swimming race. We met at North Gate at 9:10am and rode over to the pool, the same one that we went to before. The race went like this: We all swam 50 meters and were divided into groups by age and sex. There were the most old men (74), followed by young men (56). All the other categories had between 1 and 12 people in them. My group was the one with only one person in it, me. I swam with this other lady who was in the age group above mine and was also the only person in her age group. I realized that I really am one of the only girl winter swimmers. It went pretty well. Everyone was really excited to see me swim and there were pictures of me on the wall from when we went to Chongzhou before. Everyone kept saying "is that you?" and I would say yes and they would say what is the Chinese equivalent of "good job". I also got interviewed by the TV station again and everyone said it would be on channel 5 at 6:30 to 7:30 and 9 to 10pm that night, but Matt and I watched and I didn't see it. So I don't know.
My race itself was OK. I didn't really care, obviously, and it's hard to race when you are the only person in your event and the only person you are racing against is WAY slower than you. Plus I hadn't raced since my surgery, so given the circumstances I think it went pretty well. I got 36.77 seconds and was the fastest girl. There were a few boys that were faster than me though, the fastest time was 32 seconds. Everyone who participated got a little card that said your name and age group and time for 50m and an umbrella. I don't know why they gave us umbrellas, but I've just stopped asking. Nothing really makes any sense here. Afterwards I went to lunch with my swimming friends. We had duck soup and it was alot better than the lamb. This I would order again. It was essentially a whole duck cooked in broth with potatoes. Then you added whatever you wanted to it, the jiaozi and lotus root were especially delicious.
Then I went over to Matt's house to make Christmas cookies for the gang for this weekend. They don't know and it is going to be their Christmas present, especially because it cost me an arm and a leg. But it was worth it. They all turned out pretty well, except the peanut butter kiss cookies. This is because they didn't sell kisses so I bought the best substitute I could find, which was old chocolate hearts from Valentine's Day. The chocolate turned out to be terrible and I just turned them into regular peanut butter cookies, which were fine.
Today has been the day of annoying plans. Starting on Tuesday, my swimming grandpa asked me if I could go with him on a trip on Thursday afternoon because there were some people who wanted to meet me and it was a very beautiful place. I said that I was free Thursday afternoon, but when would we get back. He said we would not get back until Friday evening and I said that I would not be able to go because I was leaving for this other trip to the cabins at 1pm. The next few days he continued to ask me to come, saying that they could have a car and drop me off at the place and I kept saying that I didn't know how to get there and it was hard to find and that I had to go with the rest of the group, stressing that I was sorry, but that I could not go this time. I thought that I had finally dealt with it yesterday at the swimming meet because he asked once and I said that I talked to my "teacher" (meaning Andrea) about it and that she said we all had to go together. Now I am really doing this because I just want to have a relaxing weekend with my friends for Christmas and I have no trouble going on adventures with my swimming grandpa, but this was not the time. Then this morning Iris (English name of course) called me and told me that swimming grandpa had asked her to call to make sure I was coming this afternoon. I told her again that I had understood everything swimming grandpa had said, but that I was not able to go. My teacher said that I had to go with everyone to this retreat and that even though he had arranged to take me, I had to drive with the rest of my class. She said she would tell him. I felt bad because I know that he really wanted me to go. But not that bad because I know that it is mostly for face (his prestige increases if he brings the new, fast foreign girl) and he told me two days ago about an overnight trip (just expecting me to be able to go) and at no point had I ever said that I would be able to go. But, I thought that I had finally got the message across and that he would get over it. But, I was wrong. I arrived at swimming this afternoon at 4pm and when I walked out of the locker room swimming grandpa was there and said "we are waiting for you". I said "why? Didn't Iris tell you I can't go?" and he said yes, but he had this car arranged to take me and we went around in circles a little bit more of me saying I couldn't go, that my teacher wouldn't allow it, and the place was really hard to find and him saying but we can drop you off. Finally I said, I want to go, but my teacher said I couldn't, I don't know what to do. Do you want me to call my teacher? So we decided to call Andrea. I had told Andrea that it might come to this before, so she was expecting the call. She talked to my swimming grandpa and then when they hung up he said "OK, another time." And I said thanks and I was really sorry I couldn't go this time. And I really am really sorry that I can't go, I like him alot and although I never know what is going on when I go on trips with him, they always turn out to be fun. However, it was just that this weekend was not the time and it was a little annoying that it took that long and that much trouble to communicate this. Oh well, such is China.
To add to an already crazy week, Li Juan called me this afternoon to tell me that we had a Christmas Party to go to tonight. Laura and I met her at 6:20 and we went to one of her student's houses and the student's mom made us dinner. There was so much food I couldn't believe it. It was delicious and I don't think I will eat again for weeks. They were all very nice and Laura and I are always really appreciative that people go to this much trouble to make us feel welcome. I just wish we could be privy to the plans a little earlier. Now I still have packing and homework to do and we just got home at 11pm. So I better get to it, I don't want to get to sleep too late. This is China, and you never know what will happen tomorrow. You have to be prepared for anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! I'm going to FL then Chile. I love you sweetie and jeez I miss you! I think you make us all pretty proud over there.
- Gin