22 September 2006

Good things...


<-- I don't know why this is sideways, but I don't know how to fix it.

After two days, literally...48 hours, of not leaving my house, I went to class last night. On return I promptly fell asleep. After all that exertion what can you expect? But today I went to all my classes and am feeling much better. I am still tired and don't want to do much or eat much, but I can walk around for most of the day which is an improvement. I'm going to listen to my mother's advice and rest alot and hopefully this will be the last I see of this stupid fever.

More good things have happened on the "home" front. I went to the VISA office today and picked up my residency permit. I am now officially a resident of Chengdu for the next year! Yikes!!

I have made it my goal to do one new thing everyday, and I will start logging them in my blog. The first days don't count because I probably did a million new things everyday. Today I did two new things. I bought my first black-market DVDs. Black market is an overstatement because, compared to the stolen bike market, this is very legal in China. China does not have copyright laws and does not care about anyone else's so you will see alot of fakes everywhere. The movie store is right by my class and is a legitimate store front. The quality of the movies can vary, but the price is right. I bought "The Sting", "X Men 2", "The Weatherman", and a "Pooh" movie. All classics. All 4 cost me 21 kuai, which is (if you haven't figured out the exchange rate yet) about $2.75. I think I will be back. Second new thing I did today is send mail. I finally figured out how to send international mail and it turns out it's really easy. There is a China Post right next to the movie stove (hence why I was at the movie store) and you just walk up to the window and tell them you want to send you letters to the US (Mei Guo) and they sell you the stamps. Very easy. They even had glue for me to seal the envelopes because the envelopes here don't have that convenient lick 'n' stick application like in the states.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Sting is fantastic. I'm reading all your blogs to try and catch up. Beats reading for school.