08 September 2006

Happy Birthday Laura!


So September 5th was Laura, my roommates, birthday. We all went out to shao kao to celebrate. Laura is the one on the far left. Going around the table from her is Tabitha, Matt, Nancy (the English name of a Sichuan student), 3 of Li Juan's friends, Li Juan (who we live with), Eugene (who you can't see but is sitting next to me) and me. Shao kao is kind of like a very spicy shish kabob sort of idea. It is very good. They grill all sorts of meat from all parts of every animal and tofu and some vegetables too. The picture below is of me eating some sort of green pepper that is a little spicy. I am feeling a distinct lack of vegetables in my diet though. Everything is meat and noodles or rice. Laura and I are going to try to start cooking at home more though. It was a very fun party and we bought her a coffee maker and some real coffee for her birthday. She's a coffee addict like me and now we use it in our house and it is wonderful. I was trying to just do tea for a while but it really wasn't working out. We also got two cakes, one for Laura and one for Li Juan's friend whose birthday was also that day. We ate them both! Whoever said Chinese people don't eat dessert is lying. There is candy and little bakeries with cake and pastries everywhere you go. And popcicles too, which are only 1 kuai (about 12 cents).
P.S. Go Twins!!

No comments: