01 July 2009

Never a dull moment

Monday we had a meeting at NASA, which was kind of like a publicity event, so not that exciting and especially disappointing for the guy who is focusing on space exploration issues. The only benefit was that is was done quickly, so I got to work by noon and worked straight until 7pm, so I got to work alot, and made slow progress. Then at 7:30pm my brain was fried and I went home. Fortunately, the other interns had ideas for fun things to do so I didn't have to think about working any more tonight. We walked to Georgetown and got ice cream, then walked down to the Lincoln Memorial, which was beautiful at night. All the buildings on the mall are lit up at night and the whole place is very inspiring and elegant.
Then Tuesday we had a meeting at NRC and got to talk with Commissioner Klein for over an hour. I didn't get all of my questions answered because he had to go, but it was interesting to see how he talked about reprocessing and made me very conscious of how to present some arguments in ways that people could relate to them. He was a very engaging guy and everybody else really liked it too. Then we got to see their operations center, which is like a control room for when there is an incident. The funny thing, I thought, was that they have only used it once in the past 10 years except for training exercises. But it's good to know they are prepared and it's really a good thing that there haven't been any incidents, it shows how safe the nuclear industry really is. Then I went to work and got another section done and went to the gym. I cooked dinner tonight too, for the 2nd time since I've gotten here, which was fun, so overall it was a really good day. And I get to work all morning tomorrow until I have a meeting with Matt Milazzo, the ANS congressional fellow, which should be a good meeting too. Never a dull moment, but now I'm going to read and go to sleep. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thought of you on the 4th as we watched fireworks over the harbor in Duluth. It finally feels like summer!