28 June 2009

No Work and All Play, then some work.

Just as I was getting ready to work this afternoon, the boys, Dan H., Steven, Joe, and John, came by to see if I wanted to go to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. I decided that sounded like alot more fun. The festival is something the Smithsonian puts on every year to showcase 3 different cultures from around the world. This year was Africa, the Americas, and Whales. They bring over organizations, artists, and musicians from the respective countries to have booths on all aspects of culture from food and crafts to building materials and music. The Whales exhibit was the coolest, they had a really good band and an interesting exhibit about natural building materials. The word below is the worlds longest place name, in Whales. Then Jen and Cheyenne and I went to the Capital BBQ Competition. You couldn't have the competitors BBQ, that was just for judges, but they had lots of yummy BBQ restaurants and good blues and rock bands. I got home at 10 or so and was asleep by midnight, telling myself I would work tomorrow. I slept in and went for a run when I woke up, then went to the grocery store, a new one (Whole Foods), and then went to work. I was very productive, but got only a section written. This is going to take alot longer then I think, but it is always that way. I'm going to try to write a section each day. Enjoy the pictures, they are at the bottom because everytime I try to move them, explorer closes. Oh, computers.









































1 comment:

Cheryl said...

One of my colleagues at work has been to Wales and told me that it is a beautiful country and the people are doing a lot to preserve the culture. So it is very neat that you were able to experience some of that through the festival.