12 June 2009

Learning new things

I learn so much hear everyday, it's amazing. Talking to people is by far the most effective way to get information and I do so much of it everyday I barely have time to collect my thoughts! Today we started out at MN mornings. I talked to both Amy's energy staffers and will set up a meeting with Charley next Friday I think. I learned alot about political opinion of nuclear and the battles any sort of nuclear commitment will face in Congress. I didn't get to meet or get my picture with Amy, because she was really busy, but Joe and I decided we would go back another Thursday and do it, this meeting was about getting meetings with the staffers, so mission accomplished. Then we had WISE meetings about "how to meet your senator", which was less interesting and more common sense. But still had good tips, like make sure to emphasize WHY this is important to their constituents, not to you the scientist. It's just a completely different way of thinking about issues. Then in the afternoon I went with 2 of the other interns to meet with their mentor, a guy from the American Nuclear Society and that works for Avera, the main nuclear plant contractor. He also serves on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, so we talked alot about nuclear regulation, the old system and the new system and possible changes for reprocessing. I also learned alot about what is feasible from an industry perspective what would make that happen. Then I came home and went out to a whiskey tasting with a couple of the other interns. All in all it was a great day. I'm excited for tomorrow though, when I can sit down and put some of my thoughts together and type up some notes. Tomorrow should be mostly working in my office, so not as interesting. Then I'll be back in Seattle on Saturday! Can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whiskey tasting and meeting with the NRC in the same day. Amazing. What was your favorite kind (of whiskey?)

Mom a/k/a anonymous said...

Looking forward to your next blog