10 June 2009

where change is possible

Another day in the center of the action. That is really what this place feels like, so much is happening all the time and there is so much information everywhere, it is amazing. I ran this morning around the mall and to the Lincoln Memorial, where I ran the stairs. I read the Gettysberg Address and Lincoln's second Innaugural Address and stood in the spot where Martin Luther King gave his I Have A Dream speech. It made me think about all the things this country has gone through and that this country can change. And about how that capacity for change is what really makes this country great. Then we had a doom's day presentation about all the problems this country faces that no one is talking about, like water and health impacts from nanotechnology, and lots of other problems. It was from a very interesting guy who works for the Office of Science and Technology Program, which oversees science advising, in a sense. He also talked alot about the different organizations that exist for science advising and what their roles are and how we could make the process better. Then we had lunch and another presentation from a guy who lobbies for IEEE, the Electrical Engineering organization. He wasn't an engineer, but he just talked about how democracy is an amazing system that works best if everyone (politicians and voters) act in their own self interest (partially true), but the most important part was speaking up (totally true). He also had a lot of good resources for the softer, public policy part of my paper and is helping me hunt them up. Then we went to the Hill and I visited all my congressmen from MN and WA, or some of them. The picture is of some of the WISE interns walking in front of the Supreme Court House, betweem the House and Senate Office Buildings. I went to congressmen Ellison and Insley, and Senator Klobuchar and Cantwell. It was important for me to go to the WA congresspeople because they are both very active in energy. I am trying to set up meetings with all of their respective energy staffers, and so far am 1 for 4, but it has only been one day. And Jay Insley's staffer called me back personally. I will also get to talk to Amy Klobuchar's staffer on Thursday when I go to MN mornings with Joe, the other intern from U of M. After that I headed back sans the rest of the WISE interns and though about how self-important Washington DC seemed, but yet how amazingly effective in the true sense of the word. In DC, every action has an equal or greater reaction on the entire nation in some instances. This is the place for real change and it is exciting to be a part of it. I also realized I forgot to give my address, which is:

Sarah Widder
George Washington University
Dakota #201
2100 F St. NW
Washington DC 20052

Now I am trying to work at my desk and make sense of all the new information and experiences I have been inundated with today. And get ready for another day of more tomorrow. Good night!






1 comment:

cheryl and lois said...

So, how many steps are there to the Lincoln Memorial?

We are going to think of something else to say tomorrow.